Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Letters About Literature"

Dear Mr. Wilkinson,

I recently read your book, Oblivion's Altar, and was very moved by its powerful message. In history at school, I studied the settlement of the Americas by white pioneers and the effects their concept of 'Manifest Destiny' had on the Native Americans who already lived there. Before reading your book, the material seemed dry and dull, and although I knew it was a tragedy, relating to their struggles was nearly impossible for me. When Oblivion's Altar was recommended to me, I agreed to read it, but I expected to put it down quietly like several other books about history that I deemed 'boring.' I was wrong; contrary to my original judgment, I found that I simply could not stop reading.

The life of Chief Ridge opened my eyes to the cruelty of the white men that pushed the Cherokee farther and farther West, pushing them onto the trail of tears. Through his story, I was able to experience for myself the grief he felt while watching helplessly as his people suffered, and blamed him for not being able to stop the pioneers. I felt the inexplicable sadness that he felt, when he realized that the culture he knew no longer held any meaning in the steadily changing world. The incredible sacrifice he made when he gave up his son, so that he could learn about the culture of the white man, made me realize just how tragic and serious the situation was. The faith he had in Andrew Jackson's treaties and promises was genuine, and it made me angry to learn that the president did not sympathize with their plight; instead he exposed the Native Americans to the cold realities of westward expansion, displacing families, forcing women and children to pack their things and move, and dishonoring the Cherokee warriors. Andrew Jackson and Chief Ridge were pragmatic, but Ridge was forced to bring the terrible news to his people and urge them to move, instead of facing certain death if they stayed. His attempts to make peace with Jackson and his followers were dismissed, because they regarded Ridge as an uneducated savage.

Before reading your book, I only knew the pioneers' side of the story, a tale that involved courageous settlers who expanded the great country that we have today. Now, I realize that the settlement of the West was more than just glory and gold; thousands of people suffered for the Americans' gain, and today, the Native Americans are hardly remembered for the bravery they showed when faced with losing all that they had ever known. The detail in your book allowed me to realize that Chief Ridge was viewed as a traitor by his people for wanting to submit to the white men who oppressed them, rather than watch his family and friends die, and to experience for myself everything that happened during Ridge's lifetime. Ridge was a hero and a man who gave his life for everything he believed in. I will never view that time period in the same way after reading Oblivion’s Altar. Thank you for providing me and many other readers to come with this incredible insight into history.

Sincerely,
Brodde Lamb

1 comment:

Ms. Wiesner said...

Very good intro, but at the end of your paragraph I wanted you to say something like...I was wrong.

Re-word this: "and it made me angry to learn that the president cared absolutely nothing"

SS "who expanded the great country that we had today."

Very well written. I do not have many negative things to say about it. I do think the ending could be stronger. Perhaps a "thank you" to the author for helping to change your perspective on this point in history.